1. Ask your student to register you as a guest when they register for Orientation
Students are encouraged to bring guests when attending Orientation, as we offer a separate, concurrent family program.
When your student reserves their Orientation date in our online reservation system, there is an option to register guests. Adult guests are assessed a $65 fee, and children ages 5-12 are assessed a $30 fee. These fees cover the costs of the family program, which include meals, staffing, parking, and materials provided throughout the session. Please pay the guest fee via our online reservation system in order to confirm your participation in Orientation.
2. Arrange overnight accommodations
3. Review the Summer Freshman Family Orientation schedule
In order to make the most of your orientation experience, we encourage you to review the family orientation schedule in advance of attending. It is important to note that the family program runs concurrently with the student program, and that guests and students are not together during the entire program. There are a few sessions that students and guests attend together, but the majority of the family program runs concurrently with the student program.
The first day of Summer Freshman Family Orientation begin with check-in at 8 a.m. and ends with our family reception which runs until 8 p.m. We encourage all guests to return for the second day of Orientation where our family program is held from 8:15 a.m.–12:30 p.m. For more information on sessions, please review our family orientation schedule online.
4. Print your parking pass
5. Encourage your student to complete important items
We provide a checklist for students that details all of the important items students should complete before attending Orientation. We encourage you to remind your student to complete the following before attending Orientation:
- Set-up Patriot Pass and MasonLive email account to receive important communication from the university
- Submit final transcripts and AP or IB scores to Admissions
- Accept or decline the financial aid package (if applicable) via PatriotWeb
- Upload a photo for the Mason ID
- Complete the immunization record form and bring all necessary documentation to orientation to submit to Student Health Services
- Review the registration readiness guide to prepare for the course registration process
It is important that students complete these items themselves so they fully understand Mason policies and processes, and will be prepared to navigate Mason systems when they begin classes in the fall.
6. Stay connected as a Mason Family
Families are encouraged to join the Mason Family Association in order to receive our weekly e-newsletter, the Mason Family Flash. Our e-newsletter provides timely information for families, which includes important dates and deadlines, events happening on campus for students and families, as well as information that covers key topics we know are important to our Mason families.