1. Register as a Guest to Attend Orientation
Students are encouraged to bring guests when attending orientation, as we offer a separate, concurrent family orientation program.
When your student reserves his/her orientation date in our online reservation system there is an option to register guests. Adult guests are assessed a $65 fee, and children ages 5-12 are assessed a $30 fee. These fees cover the costs of the family orientation program which include meals, staffing, parking, and materials provided throughout the session. Please make sure to pay the guest fee via our online reservation system in order to confirm your participation in our orientation program.
2. Reserve Your Overnight Accommodations
3. Review the Family Orientation Schedule
In order to make the most of your orientation experience we encourage you to review the family orientation schedule in advance of attending. It is important to note that the family orientation program runs concurrently with the student orientation program, and that guests and students are not together during the entire orientation program. There are a few sessions that students and guests will attend together, but the majority of the family orientation program will run concurrently with the student program.
The first day of family orientation will begin with check-in at 8 a.m. and will end with our family reception which runs until 8 p.m. We encourage all guests to return for the second day of orientation where our family program will be held from 8:15 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. For more information on sessions, please review our family orientation schedule online.
4. Print Your Parking Pass
5. Encourage Your Student to Complete Important Items
We have provided a checklist for students that details all of the important items students should complete before attending orientation. As family members we encourage you to help remind your student to complete the following before attending orientation:
- Set-up Patriot Pass and MasonLive email account to receive important communication from the university
- Submit final transcripts and AP or IB scores to Admissions
- Accept or decline the financial aid package (if applicable) via PatriotWeb
- Upload a photo for the Mason ID
- Complete the immunization record form and bring all necessary documentation to orientation to submit to Student Health Services
- Review the registration readiness guide to prepare for the course registration process
It is important that students complete these items themselves so they fully understand Mason policies and processes, and will be prepared to navigate Mason systems when they begin classes in the fall.
6. Stay Connected as a Mason Family
Families are encouraged to join the Mason Family Association in order to receive our weekly e-newsletter, the Mason Family Flash. Our e-newsletter provides timely information for families which includes important dates and deadlines, events happening on campus for students and families, as well as information that covers key topics we know are important to our Mason families.
Also, follow-us on social media by liking our Facebook page for the George Mason Family Association!