1. Ask your student to register you as a guest when they register for Orientation
Students are encouraged to bring guests when attending orientation! We offer a separate, concurrent family program for Winter daytime sessions. Please note there is no family program for Winter evening sessions, due to space constraints.
When your student reserves their Orientation date online through our registration system, there is an option to register guests. Adult guests ages 13 and up are assessed a $30 fee, children ages 5-12 are assessed a $15 fee, and children 4 and under are free. These fees cover the costs of the family program, which include meals, space, staffing, parking, and materials provided throughout the session. Please pay the guest fee via our online reservation system in order to confirm your participation in Orientation.
2. Arrange overnight accommodations
3. Review the Winter Family Orientation schedule
In order to make the most of your orientation experience, we encourage you to review the family orientation schedule before your session. Please note that the Winter Daytime Family Program runs concurrently with the student program. While there are a few sessions that students and guests attend together, the majority of the programming will be separate and concurrent.
Winter Daytime Family Orientation begins with check-in at 10 a.m. and ends at 5 p.m. For more information on sessions, please review our family orientation schedule. There is no family program for winter evening sessions.
4. Print your parking pass
5. Encourage your student to complete important items
We provide an Orientation Checklist that details all of the important items students should complete before attending Orientation. Please remind your student to review the Checklist and complete the following before attending orientation:
- Set up Patriot Pass and MasonLive email accounts to receive important communication from the university
- Submit final transcripts and AP or IB scores to Admissions
- Accept or decline the financial aid package (if applicable) via PatriotWeb
- Upload a photo for a Mason ID
- Complete the immunization records form and bring all necessary documentation to orientation to submit to Student Health Services
- Review the registration guide to prepare for the course registration process
It is important that students complete these Orientation Checklist items themselves, to ensure that they (a) fully understand Mason policies and processes and (b) are prepared to navigate Mason systems when they begin classes.
6. Stay connected as a Mason Family
Families are encouraged to join the Mason Family Association in order to receive our weekly e-newsletter, the Mason Family Flash. Our e-newsletter provides timely information for families, which includes important dates and deadlines, events happening on campus for students and families, and information that covers key topics we know are important to our Mason families.
Also, follow us on social media by liking the George Mason Family Programs Facebook page and requesting to join the George Mason Family Association Facebook closed group!