The Patriot Leader position is highly visible in the Mason community and represent NSFP through its various programs and initiatives.
The Patriot Leader serves as a role model to new students by leading and facilitating their transition into Mason by assisting in the execution of programs associated with our office such as new student orientation, new student programs, and family programs.
They serve as a peer, resource, and guide by answering questions from new students and their family members and providing their own personal and professional experiences.
- Must be available for ALL New Student and Family Programs Patriot Leader and student leader training sessions
- Must be a currently enrolled Mason student and remain enrolled full-time throughout the duration of employment
- Must be available for ALL NSFP programmatic initiatives including but not limited to orientation (both Summer and Winter sessions), Family Programs (Family Weekend and Spring Family Fling!) and new student programs (Move-In, Preamble, Welcome2Mason, Mason Reads).
- Must have a sincere desire to help new students and families with their transition into the Mason community
- Must have an ability to connect, relate, and understand people from a diverse variety of cultures and backgrounds
- Must have established a 2.5 cumulative GPA or better and maintain GPA throughout time within position
- Must be in good financial, academic, and disciplinary standing
- Demonstrate a desire to learn about specific policies, procedures, and people associated with George Mason University
- Must complete 2021 Patriot Leader Spring Training (UNIV 331) (Fridays from 2-5pm in the Spring Semester) with a B or higher letter grade.
- Must complete 2021 Patriot Leader Summer Training (two weeks in June leading into the orientation season)
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serve as a positive role model and representative of NSFP and George Mason University
- Contribute to all NSFP programmatic functions surrounding its three coordinated initiatives: orientation, new student programs and family programs
- Assist in the preparation and execution of orientation (both Summer and Winter sessions), Family Programs (Family Weekend and Spring Family Fling!) and new student programs (Move-In, Preamble, Welcome2Mason, Mason Reads).
- Encourage new students and families to participate in all orientation activities and family programs
- Lead, facilitate, and debrief various discussions and interactions on various topics at orientation including but not limited to the new student experience, academics at Mason, diversity and inclusion, and campus involvement.
- Assist academic staff and faculty in providing an efficient and personalized method of course selection, registration, academic advising and student development program for new students throughout new student orientation
- Preparation, rehearsal, and presentation of scripted material to be performed on stage during the freshmen orientation program (GMU What)
- Serve as a role model for new students by displaying the responsibility and maturity appropriate of a student leader and a member of the Mason community
- Live on-campus throughout summer and serve as a primary point of contact for new students and their families/guests during Orientation sessions
- Participate in periodic written and oral performance evaluations with various supervising staff
- Maintain healthy and ongoing communication with supervisors, peers, and other staff
- Other roles and duties as assigned
For additional information, please contact Joseph Deluna at email@example.com.