George Mason University uses an online photo submission process. For any questions or concerns, you can contact the Mason Card Office at MasonID@gmu.edu. Full requirements are listed here.
1. Have your picture taken
No selfies can be used for this photo, so have someone take a digital color photo of you that would be appropriate for official identification. The file format must be .jpg and cannot exceed 2MB. It is required that your photo follows these expectations:
- White background (try using a poster board or interior wall)
- Proper lighting without shadows (avoid dark or blurry photos)
- Picture must be a front view of your full face and from the neck up
- Eyes should be open and visible (prescription glasses are okay; sunglasses or other articles which obscure the face are not acceptable)
- Hats or other head coverings are only acceptable when required by religious beliefs, tenants, traditions or customs, and may not cover any portion of student’s face
2. Upload and submit your photo
Start by visiting the Mason Card Office website. Log into the app using your Patriot Pass credentials. Follow the instructions at the top of the page. Select “Choose File” and then locate the photo (.jpg) you want to use. Click on “Upload Photo.” You will need to edit your photo with the “Crop” button. This will require a new window, so make sure the pop-up blocker is disabled. Maximize this new window and then choose the area of the photo that meets requirements. The photo should be from the shoulders up to a few inches above the head. Save the cropped photo and click on the “Upload” box. Your picture will then be submitted for review.
3. Your photo will be reviewed
When your photo has successfully been submitted it will be reviewed by Mason Card Office. You will receive an email to your Mason email within three business days to let you know whether or not your photo has been approved to be printed on your Mason ID card. If approved, you will receive your Mason ID at the end of your orientation date. If rejected, your e-mail will have the reasons your photo cannot be used for your Mason ID card and you will be asked to submit another photo.
4. Receive your ID card
Your Mason ID card will be given to you when you arrive on-campus for the semester. At that time, you will need to validate your identity and photo. You must bring a government-issued photo ID in order to receive your card, such as a passport or a driver’s license. You will not be given your Mason ID card without this documentation.
5. Tips for taking the perfect ID photo
Follow the steps above to upload a photo, and make sure you keep these additional tips in mind for a great looking photo. Avoid the following:
- Wearing hats, sunglasses, or items that obscure the face
- Closed eyes or a glare on eyeglasses
- Other people or objects visible in the photo
- Inappropriate expressions
- Group photos
- Blurry photos
- Black and white or filtered photos
- Photos with hands resting on face
- Cropping your head or side angle of your face